Select your location for up-to-date news and information in your local area My Area

Contraceptive advice for under 16s

Although the law states it is an offence to have sex if you are under 16, it is not an offence for health professionals to provide contraception and advice. 

Health professionals follow guidelines to ensure that the young person is mature enough to make the decision to have sex, use contraception and understand the advice. 

Young people are encouraged to involve their parents or a trusted adult in these conversations if they feel able to. 


Confidentiality means the health professional won’t tell anybody about your visit, including your parents, teachers or friends unless they think you are at risk or in danger. 

They should talk to you about what they are going to do to make sure you are safe. 

Have a look at this page for more information on sexual consent, the impact of alcohol and drugs on your decision making ability and how you can keep yourself safe. 

How to get help

If you have any more questions on this area or would like to speak to somebody about this topic, have a look at the links or search for your local services in the blue box below. Alternatively you can always contact your school nurse.

Cross Hatch

Find help in your local area

Find help in your local area

Find out what services are available to you in your area. Remember your school nurse is always there to give you confidential help and support.

Find help in your local area