Should you need urgent health advice please contact your GP or call NHS 111. In an emergency please visit A&E or call 999

Select your location for up-to-date news and information in your local area My Area

It’s An Emergency

An emergency is where someone needs immediate help as their life is in danger.

A medical emergency can happen if a person has an accident or if someone is ill and is suffering from a serious illness. This person will need to get medical help as soon as possible. The best way to get help is by calling 999; this can be done by calling 999 or 112 from any phone for free even if you don’t have credit.

When you call 999 or 112, a person will answer called an operator. The operator will ask you several questions which include:

  • Where you are?
  • What is the problem?

This information enables the operator to decide on the best way to help the person who needs the emergency help. The operator may even ask you to help by staying with the person. Always remember to try and stay calm.


111 is the number to call if there isn’t an emergency. The operator, the person who answers the phone will be able to advise you on the best line of action and may direct you to the GP, pharmacist or a walk in centre if required.

6 situations you may want to call 111

1  Headaches, earaches, sore throats.

2  A High Temperature.

3  Ongoing pain.

4  Minor injuries such as Sporting injuries.

5  Diarrhoea and vomiting.

6  Just feeling unwell for several days.

First Aid training

How do I become First Aid trained?

If you would like to be first aid trained you can ask your school if they have any first aid training available or you could also contact the British Red Cross  or the St John Ambulance who will also run First Aid courses.

If I’m First Aid trained should I help?

If you’re First Aid trained and it’s safe for you to help then yes you can and you could save someone’s life. If you feel unsure at the time, that’s ok. If you feel an ambulance might be necessary just call just 999 and shout for help. This way you can still get medical treatment to someone and you may save that person’s life.

There might be other times where you don’t need to contact an urgent care service. It might be more appropriate to ask your pharmacist or GP for advice.

How to get help

If you have any more questions on this area or would like to speak to somebody about this topic, have a look at the links or search for your local services in the blue box below. Alternatively you can always contact your public health nurse.

Cross Hatch

Find help in your local area

Find out what services are available to you in your area. Remember your school nurse is always there to give you confidential help and support.

Find help in your local area

We offer tailored content specific to your area. Check below to find your local area, otherwise hit the red button to continue as normal.

No thanks, just let me view the site