How Much Is Safe To Drink?
The amount of alcohol you drink is measured in units
Understanding units helps you keep track of how much alcohol you’re drinking.
1 unit = 10mls of pure alcohol, which means half a pint of beer or 1 single short of spirits.
1.5 units = a small glass of wine or a bottle of alcopops
2 units = a bottle of beer or a medium size glass of wine
3 units = a big glass of wine
9 units = a bottle of wine
Always check the strength of the alcohol as some stronger drinks contain more units.
Recommended Limits For Alcohol
The recommended amount of alcohol adults can drink is:
- Maximum of 21 units a week for adult men
- And no more that 3-4 units a day
- Maximum of 14 units a week for adult women
- And no more than 2-3 units a day
- 2 alcohol free days per week
- Pregnant women shouldn’t drink any alcohol as even a small amount can harm their baby
How to get help
If you have any more questions on this area or would like to speak to somebody about this topic, have a look at the links or search for your local services in the blue box below. Alternatively you can always contact your public health nurse.
Find help in your local area
Find out what services are available to you in your area. Remember your school nurse is always there to give you confidential help and support.