Introducing The CAMHS Crisis and Home Treatment Team

What is a Crisis in Mental Health?

A mental health crisis happens when a person feels they can’t cope and they may act in a way that could hurt themselves or others. They might put themselves at risk of being unable to look after themselves or function in a healthy way.  They might not say they are having a crisis but may describe it as having a breakdown, a meltdown or that they just can’t carry on like this.


Who are the Crisis Team?

The Crisis team is a group of healthcare professionals who specialise in mental health issues.  The Team includes Consultant Psychiatrist, psychologist, mental health practitioners, social workers and support workers.  They see patients aged 18 and under who are having significant mental health problems and emotional and behavioural needs.  Their aim is to prevent you having to be admitted to hospital  – unless you have an injury that needs medical attention.


Where are the Crisis Team based?

If you are referred for assessment by the Crisis Team then you will be seen in a base at the Bradgate Unit Hub which is based at the Glenfield Hospital If this isn’t possible, there are other places the team might meet you, such as at school or college, at the doctors or hospital or possibly at home.


What do they do?

The Crisis Team will meet with you and your family to assess your current mental health and decide what the best way forward is for you.  An assessment simply means that Mental Health Professional will talk to you and listen to you to gather information about your mental health.  If it feels right, then your family will be invited to join in this conversation. By the end of the assessment, which usually takes around 1 hour, there will be a plan to help keep you safe and how to get further help.


What will happen once I’ve spoken to the Crisis Team?

What happens next will depend on the outcome of the assessment.  The Crisis Team will put together an action plan and complete a safety plan that is just for you and your circumstances.  It may suggest further treatment by the team as an out-patient, an inpatient, or referring onto a different specialist in mental health.  You might be signposted to a specialist agency such as Relate or LGBTQ support.  Whatever the outcome of your assessment, you will have an action plan to help and support you.


Who do I contact for support with my mental health?

If you need urgent help for your mental health, you can call the Central Access Point (CAP) on 0808 800 3302 who have an 24 hours urgent mental health support line. You can also

  • Speak to an adult friend or someone you can trust as soon as you can
  • If you are already seen by CAMHS and it is in office hours (9-5), call your CAMHS worker
  • Speak to your school nurse or social worker
  • Call your GP
  • Call 111

Click here for useful Websites and Services that can provide non-urgent mental health support.