Select your location for up-to-date news and information in your local area My Area
Content Page banner

Web Chat: Young Carers: Mon 14th Mar 4:30-5pm

Join us for a chat from 4:30pm on Monday 14th March 2016.

Are you a young carer or do you know someone who is? Not too sure where to get help? Want some advice? Join this chat on Monday 14th March 4:30pm – 5pm to get advice from Barnardo’s, connect with other young people, ask questions, find answers and discuss.

Remember all of the chats are completely anonymous, safe and secure, see our terms and conditions for more information.

In order to post in our chat section you'll need to login or register some details first. Don't worry we wont display any personal information on the site, and you can choose an anonymous username.
Chat Health (Nurse - Moderator) / 14 Mar 16:20

Hi, this chat will start in 10 minutes. The chat today is going to be run Nikki from Barnardo's.

JumpingBear / 14 Mar 16:25

What's today's chat about

JumpingBear / 14 Mar 16:27

what type of help can i get as a young carer?

Chat Health (Nurse - Moderator) / 14 Mar 16:27

Today we are talking about young carers, children and young people who help to care for someone at home due to illness, disability or poor mental health, problematic use of alcohol, substances. Is that something that affects your life?

FrowningLion / 14 Mar 16:29


JumpingBear / 14 Mar 16:29

Yes, i'm a carer for my parent

BouncingCracken / 14 Mar 16:30

I have to look after my mum as she can't move very much. It's tiring but the right thing to do.

Chat Health (Nurse - Moderator) / 14 Mar 16:30

It really depends on what you need...we can help with school, college, getting out and about, support for the person you care for, grants, some one to talk to...we can offer to do an assessment. This gives you the chance to think about these things and we can then work with you on a support plan....

JumpingBear User has removed their details / 14 Mar 16:33

Do i have to make an appointment to see you?

FrowningLion / 14 Mar 16:30

My friend care's for his older brother who has dementia - he lives with his step mum and father but technically doesn't live with them

FrowningLion / 14 Mar 16:31

Maybe not dementia - maybe some sort of mental health problem

FrowningLion / 14 Mar 16:32

He's facing some hard times in life at the moment, because he doesn't recieve much help from his dad and step mum.. hes trying to balance school, home and caring at once.. how can I help him or how can he help himself?

Chat Health (Nurse - Moderator) / 14 Mar 16:37

Barnardo's provides the young carers service for the local area. You can call us on 0116 2867182 Mon to Fri 9-5 to get some help and advice or refer yourself for services. Or you can make an on line referral at our website

BouncingCracken / 14 Mar 16:38

I want to do what is best for my mum. What help is available?

JumpingBear / 14 Mar 16:39

how can you help with school?

FrowningLion / 14 Mar 16:39

How can my friend get help from his school if he is finding it hard to balance education with caring...

Chat Health (Nurse - Moderator) / 14 Mar 16:43

Re supporting your friend if they are a young carer: many young carers say that they feel people do not understand their situation, so it is really important to listen and try to understand and be there for them. Bullying can be a big problem too, so having a friend that cares is SO positive.

RE school, many schools have a Young Carers Champion. They will help support with flexibility, talking to teachers, making calls at lunchtime. You can ask your pastoral staff or Head of Year if your school has a champion. If they do not know, you can ask Barnardo's to find out for you on 0116 2867182

Chat Health (Nurse - Moderator) / 14 Mar 16:47

If you would like us to help with school, contact us so you can be registered with us. We will talk to you about how school can help you and then we will agree a plan with you. It may be that we offer to arrange a meeting in school with you and a member of staff you trust, or the Young Carers champion, if there is one. You may feel that you want to meet with school staff alone to make your case and we can help you to think about what to ask for. We will be led by what you want.

JumpingBear User has removed their details / 14 Mar 16:49

Ok. That sounds helpful

JumpingBear / 14 Mar 16:47

i don't think speaking to my friends help. They don't understand how hard it can be sometimes

JumpingBear / 14 Mar 16:47

i don't think speaking to my friends help. They don't understand how hard it can be sometimes

FrowningLion / 14 Mar 16:48

How do you think I should approach my friend asking if he needs help or support? It's a sensitive issue so i should be a little careful, don't want to hurt him I just want to help him

Chat Health (Nurse - Moderator) / 14 Mar 16:51

Help for mum - mum can contact Adult Social Care in the local authority and ask for an assessment of her needs. In Leicester the number is 0116 4541004, in Leicestershire this is 0116 3050004. Both local authority websites have more information. Or, you can refer yourselves to us and we will do this for you.

BouncingCracken / 14 Mar 16:52

I will let her know. I heard Cameron is cutting all help though

Chat Health (Nurse - Moderator) / 14 Mar 16:55

Re friends not understanding, lots of young carers tell us this and that is why we offer access to young carers' groups. It gives young carers the chance to be with other young people in a similar situation. If you want to talk about your problems, that is fine, everyone will understand, including the staff. If you don't want to talk that is fine too, you can just have fun and relax for a couple of hours.

Chat Health (Nurse - Moderator) / 14 Mar 16:59

Re talking to your friend as this is a sensitive subject... yes it is a sensitive subject, so make sure you are in a place where you can't be overheard. Confidentiality is REALLY important to young carers. Why not say so saw information about being a young carers on this website and thought of your friend and how it may be relevant to him. You can suggest he looks back at this web chat to get more information and to see if he feels we can be of help at Barnardo's

Chat Health (Nurse - Moderator) / 14 Mar 17:01

Thanks to you all for taking part. If you want to chat with other young carers without joining Barnardo's, you can visit - but it would be great if you wanted to talk to us too!!

This chat is now closed!

This chat is now closed, thanks for taking part.

Should you need anymore information on this topic, have a look at:

Alternatively you could speak to your parent/carer, a trusted adult, member of school staff, your school nurse or doctor.  If there is an emergency then please contact 999 or visit A&E.

Find help in your local area

Find out what services are available to you in your area. Remember your school nurse is always there to give you confidential help and support.