Select your location for up-to-date news and information in your local area My Area
Content Page banner

Domestic Abuse webchat: 26.06.17 4.30-5pm

Join us for a chat from 4:30pm on Monday 26th June 2017.

Worried about a relationship you’re in or someone you know? Want help and support and don’t know where to turn? Join us online to talk about domestic abuse and ways to seek help and get advice on Monday 26th June 4.30-5pm.

Remember all of the chats are completely anonymous, safe and secure, see our terms and conditions for more information.

In order to post in our chat section you'll need to login or register some details first. Don't worry we wont display any personal information on the site, and you can choose an anonymous username.
sarahtebbett / 26 Jun 16:28

Are you concerned about your relationship or a friends who is in a violent relationship?
Join us at 4:30 to chat about domestic abuse.

sarahtebbett / 26 Jun 16:31

Welcome to today's web chat. Today we are talking about domestic abuse. Do you have concerns that someone you know is being abused? Join us for advice and support

sarahtebbett / 26 Jun 16:37

Domestic abuse, includes physical, emotional and sexual abuse in couple relationships or between family members.
Domestic violence can happen against women and against men, and anybody can be an abuser. Definitions have been altered in recent times to raise awareness that young people can also be victims of domestic abuse

sarahtebbett / 26 Jun 16:42

There are different kinds of abuse, but it's always about having power and control over you. Physical abuse may be hitting or punching, emotional abuse may include putting you down or stopping you from seeing your friends. If you are concerned about your relationship then you should speak to someone you can trust like a parent or school teacher or your school nurse

sarahtebbett / 26 Jun 16:47

If you're worried a friend is being abused, let them know you've noticed something is wrong.

They might not be ready to talk, but try to find quiet times when they can talk if they choose to.

sarahtebbett / 26 Jun 16:49

You don't have to wait for an emergency situation to seek help. If domestic abuse is happening to you, it's important to tell someone and remember you're not alone.

You can:
•talk to your doctor, health visitor or midwife
•women can call 0808 2000 247, the free 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline run in partnership between Women's Aid and Refuge
•men can call the Men's Advice Line free on 0808 801 0327 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) or ManKind on 01823 334 244
•in an emergency, call 999

sarahtebbett / 26 Jun 16:53

There are local services that support people who are living with or affected by domestic abuse. Contact:
United Against Violence and Abuse
0808 802 0028
For victims in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland

This chat is now closed!

This chat is now closed, thanks for taking part.

Should you need anymore information on this topic, have a look at:

Health for Teens Relationship section or:

Alternatively you could speak to your parent/carer, a trusted adult, member of school staff, your school nurse or doctor.  If there is an emergency then please contact 999 or visit A&E.

You can text your school nurse through the ChatHealth messaging service which runs Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm.  If you go to school in Leicester City please text 07520 615386, if you go to school in Leicestershire County or Rutland then please text 07520 615387.

Find help in your local area

Find out what services are available to you in your area. Remember your school nurse is always there to give you confidential help and support.